Bored of ANOTHER dinner and a movie? Why not get the adrenaline pumping with something a little more unique?
Active dates are a great option, but which is perfect for your bae? Here are our top 10 active date ideas and tips on how to WOW your bae with the perfect match! 😘
|Date Idea 💡||Time of Day||Best suited to||~ Budget||Duration (hours)|
|Tandem Kayaking 🛶||Early Bird||Fitness Junkies||$35/h||2-4|
|Animal Encounter 🦁||Early bird||Animal Lovers||$150/h||0.5-2|
|Forest Walk 🌲||Daytime||Nature Fans||Free||1-8|
|Flying Trapeze 🎪||Daytime||Dare Devils||$55/h||2|
|Apple Picking 🍏||Daytime||Ecofriendly||$12||1-3|
|Trampolining! 🤸||Daytime||Fitness Junkies||$30/h||2|
|Music Festival 🎤||Afternoon/ Evening||Party Ravers||$150+||3+|
|Stargazing ⭐||Night Owl||Nerds at Heart||Free||1+|
|Bungee Jumping 🪂||Daytime||Dare Devils||$150||1|
|Horseback Riding 🐎||Daytime||Animal Lovers||$120/h||1-4|
1. 🛶 Tandem Kayaking 🛶
If you want to have an active date that includes a little extra privacy, look no further. You’ll be surrounded by the sparkling ocean and striking blue sky, the perfect atmosphere to discuss the best things in life.
- This date works best if your partner is active and fit with a healthy love of the great outdoors.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity is ‘Quality Time’ as you’ll be spending time just being present together.
- Kayaking is a reasonably inexpensive budget date and will generally cost around $25-$50 per hour for two people. You can choose to have a professional guide or explore the wilderness yourselves.
- For experienced kayakers, kayaking over the ocean 🌊 is a fun date idea. The best time to go kayaking is during the early morning, right before sunrise 🌅, when there’s just enough light for visibility.
- If you’re a beginner to kayaking, it’s recommended that you hire a professional guide so as not to sink your date! Viator has professionally guided kayak tours in almost every region of the world.
- Follow up the date with a well-earned sumptuous breakfast (I’d recommend pancakes 🥞…go on…you’ve both earned it!).
2. 🦁 Animal encounters 🦁 – swim with dolphins or feed elephants.
Meeting charming animals makes for an incredibly unique date, perfect for a special occasion. It’ll be an unforgettable time for both of you with memories to keep for a lifetime.
- This kind of date is ideal if you and your partner are animal lovers with a passion for nature.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity is ‘Acts of Service’ as you’ll be showing care for the animals.
- Swimming with dolphins 🐬 can be as affordable or as expensive as you want it to be, ranging from $30 to $300 per person depending on the duration of the swim and the add-ons included with the experience.
- Feeding elephants 🐘 can be a pricier animal encounter, usually starting at $90 and ranging up to $150 per person according to the length of the experience.
- Other animal encounters can include swimming with sharks 🦈, petting a leopard 🐆, holding snakes 🐍 or cuddling a koala 🐘 – for extra brownie points arrange your date’s favourite critter.
- An animal encounter is the best way to get closer to these magnificent creatures. The best time for your date is usually early morning when they’re most active – but check with your local zoo or aquarium for they’re opening hours. Some of these encounters can even be booked as early as 5 am.
- When it comes to experiences involving animals, it’s best to invest in participating in one where you know the owners have the animal’s best interest in mind at all times, not just during your date. Please make sure the animal centre is taking good care of them.
- Remember to bring sunscreen with you since you’ll be outdoors for a considerable amount of time. Don’t forget your camera either; you’re going to want some pictures to remember such a unique outing!
3. 🌲 Forest Walks 🌲
When it comes to dreamy and romantic active date ideas, a walk through the woods is a definite winner. You and your partner will have tranquillity, privacy, and breathtaking views.
- This active date works best if your partner is keen on taking long walks and enjoys being outdoors.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity is ‘Quality Time’ as you’ll have unlimited time to enjoy the present together.
- This is an inexpensive date and can be repeated multiple times through different forest trails. AllTrails has a very complete guide of some of the best forest trails out there, in case you need some inspiration for choosing the perfect one for your date.
- Depending on you and your partner’s fitness level, you can choose the right trail for your date. The levels of the trails vary from easy to hard. It might be smarter to take it slow on the first outing if this is not an activity you and your partner are used to. Less intense walking means more energy for romance, so it’s a win-win really!
- Make sure to bring with you a couple of snacks 🍌, sunscreen 🧴, and plenty of water 💧 for your journey. Check the temperature for the day to be certain your attire is suitable never hurts either.
- Once you’re done walking, you can finish off the date with a hearty meal 🍔and a chat about all the sights you explored 🦜. A little relaxation is earned after completing the trail!
4. 🎪 Flying Trapeze 🎪
If you want to impress your partner by taking your date night to the next level, a flying trapeze experience might be just the date idea for you.
- This date will be successful if your partner enjoys heights and loves the circus.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity is ‘Physical Touch” as it involves a lot of body awareness.
- Whilst not a budget date idea, it’s pretty fairly priced for what you get! Individual experiences start at $55 for a 2-hour session.
- First things first, you should be certain that your partner will enjoy this kind of date. Make sure this acrobatic type of activity aligns with both of your preferences.
- We recommend doing this in the morning or at the very least on an empty stomach. Heights can be challenging, and you will be flying across the air, you wouldn’t want to feel sick whilst on your date!
- Attend a beginner’s class if this is your first time flying, and don’t hesitate to consult with the instructors if you have any doubts or questions beforehand.
- If they offer it, and it’s within your budget, consider getting a photo package 📷 with your flying experience. You and your partner are bound to have fun admiring the way you soared through the air on your date!
5. 🍏 Go Apple Picking 🍏
In case a more relaxed active date idea fits better with your and your partner’s preferences, apple picking is an amazing choice. It’s cozy, peaceful, and surprisingly romantic.
- This date is the perfect outing if your partner enjoys relaxed activities, beautiful scenery, and light-hearted fun. It has a lot of bonding potential, and it’s as cozy as an active date gets.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity is ‘Acts of Service’ as you’re working towards a common goal together.
- Apple picking is a cost-effective date since you get a barrel full of premium quality and freshly picked fruit out of it. Entry fees to orchards range from $4 to $8 per person, making it the perfect budget outing.
- If apples aren’t in season or local to your area, feel free to go berry or orange picking instead.
- The best time to go on this date would be the early afternoon or late morning when the sun is up but not at its brightest. You’ll want to make sure you book your preferred time slot in advance to avoid any complications. Check the weather too, a sunny day with low humidity is ideal for this kind of active date.
- Some fruit-picking locations also offer complimentary warm apple cider, trails to explore, and various games. Make the most of it and enjoy as much of these things as you can; it’ll all make for a very romantic and cosy experience.
- The perfect way to end this date on a high note is to head home afterwards and bake a delicious apple pie 🥧 with the fruit you and your partner picked yourselves, right from the gorgeous trees. You can also be more adventurous and make your own apple cider 🍺 if you fancy yourself a Masterchef 👩🏼🍳. It’ll be a romantic finale to your orchard date 🌳!
6. 🤸 Jump! At an indoor trampoline park 🤸
If an adrenaline rush is what you’re aiming for, this idea is perfect. A date at an indoor trampoline park can be a fantastic opportunity to have a great laugh with your partner.
- Does your partner love to have fun and be in constant movement? Then this is the date for you! This plan works best if your partner is the goofy type and would enjoy jumping around for an extended period of time.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity is ‘Physical touch’ as there’s plenty of tactile moments and chances to bump into one another.
- This a great budget date idea, with prices for a 1-hour session at an indoor trampoline park starting at $15 per person.
- This date is perfect for mornings, right when you’re full of energy to start your day – but best on an empty stomach.
- Trampoline jumping improves your cardiovascular health and can serve as an amazing couple’s workout. It can be a fun alternative to your and your partner’s usual fitness routine.
- Since you’ll be jumping for at least an hour, it’s better to leave that filling meal for when you’re done lifting your feet off the ground. Once the session is over, you can reward yourselves with a delicious brunch 🍳 to recharge your batteries.
7. 🎤 Visit a music festival 🎤 – trade glow sticks to get to the front of the mosh pit
Attending a music festival can be a truly active date if you and your partner make the most out of it and battle for that coveted front of the mosh pit position.
Our ‘pro-tip’ is to bring a packet of glow sticks. Once at the awesome Barcelona Beach Festival, we were stuck at the back of the crowd and wanted to find a way through to the front. As it so happens, moshers are more than happy to let you jump ahead for a glowstick. One packet ought to get you from the back to the very front!
- This date works best if your partner loves music and enjoys attending music festivals, especially right from the centre of the action. Glow sticks are optional, of course, but they’re a must if you’re willing to trade them to get as nearest to the stage as possible.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity would be ‘Receiving Gifts’ as this is a generous and personal activity – to truly speak their language, make sure you choose a band or music style that your base loves.
- This is not a budget date idea at all, as you’re bound to spending a good amount of money on the entry tickets. The prices range from $100 – $300 per person and expect to spend extra on drinks and snacks.
- The first step would be to buy tickets for a music festival you’re certain you and your partner will both enjoy. Check the line-ups, facilities, and additional activities that might be available to get a better picture of what you’re signing up for. A great way to test out which festival suits you best is to watch the after movies on youtube from previous years.
- A great add-on to this date would be matching band t-shirts for you and your partner. Especially if they love receiving gifts, it will make attending the music festival even more special and allow them to keep a token of the experience.
- Make sure to bring your own water bottle to the festival, since the lines for buying bottled water can be extremely long and there’s usually free purified water offered at the hydration points scattered across the venue.
- A good checklist for your bag would be ID, wallet, phone, tickets, water bottle, sunscreen (if during the day), jumper (if at night), glow-sticks (optional).
8. ⭐ Stargazing ⭐
This is seriously one of the most romantic active date ideas out there. A starry night and a cosy blanket on the grass whilst you lay next to your partner? Yes, please.
- The fantastic thing about this date is that it works for most couples out there, given how inexpensive, convenient, and romantic it can be. Still, it’ll work the best for you if your partner has a liking for astronomy and quiet, intimate outdoor date plans.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity is ‘Words of Affirmation’ as you’ll have the perfect atmosphere for D&Ms under the stars.
- This date plan is inexpensive; all you need is a big, cosy blanket, and an outdoor site of your choice.
- One way you can really enhance this type of date would be to have a picnic right when the sun is starting to set for the day. Whilst there’s still some light, you and your partner could have an early dinner before watching the stars together. Another great idea is to bring a hot drink with you to sip on when the nightly breeze starts to make its way to your stargazing spot.
- I recommend you check the weather forecast in advance to make sure the conditions are optimal for this type of date night. The last thing you want is a stargazing date with a cloudy or stormy sky!
- This date plan is perfect for heartfelt conversations, so don’t shy away from them! The romantic setting leaves room for talking about the constellations and much more.
9. 🪂 Bungee jumping 🪂
Feeling adventurous? Then you should try falling towards the ground, screaming at the top of your lungs, only to be jolted right back up as your newest active date plan.
- This active date works best if you and your partner are adrenaline junkies and enjoy the great outdoors.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity is ‘Physical touch’ as the adrenaline through your body will really make you present.
- This active date is considerably expensive, with prices starting at around $149 per person for just one bungee jump.
- Bungee jumping is a must for adventurous couples that crave an adrenaline rush and breathtaking views. While it’s an expensive plan, it can be perfect for a special occasion.
- One way to complement the outing is to plan a relaxed outdoor walk around the place where you’ll do the bungee jump. The sites are usually beautiful and full of amazing sights that you would not want to miss.
- This is another active date in which it’s recommended to consider booking a photo package 📷 if offered on-site. Those pictures will forever remain as a token of the amazing experience you and your partner shared!
10. 🐎 Horseback riding 🐎
This active date idea is both unique and very romantic. If you and your partner are animal lovers with a passion for sports, then horseback riding is perfect for you.
- This active date works best if your partner adores horses and enjoys being surrounded by nature.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity is ‘Quality Time’ as you’ll be creating a shared experience together.
- This active date has a varied price range, starting at $40 for a half-an-hour group horseback riding experience and going all the way up to $200 or more for longer ‘small-group’ rides.
- For experienced riders, a private session through an advanced trail during the early morning or right before sunset might be the best idea. For complete beginners, a private lesson can be a hugely enjoyable and fun outing.
- We recommend going horseback riding in the evening and timing it in a way that you can score a magnificent sunset ride to top off your active date. Just think of all the beautiful lights and the nightly breeze, it speaks romance all around.
- A great way to enhance this date would be to prepare a picnic basket and bring it with you to enjoy a romantic meal at the equestrian centre after the ride – check with the ranch to ensure this is allowed. The views will be stunning, and you’ll both need an energy boost after horseback riding.
And those are our top 10 active date ideas! Did you gather enough inspiration for a future date?
We researched the popularity of all these dates (employing Google’s keyword search data) and found that horseback riding was the most popular date in this category. Flying Trapeze was the least searched category – and thereby a unique date, if you want to make sure you stand out, this is the perfect choice.
These kinds of experiences are a fun way to get adventurous with your date plans and try something new as a couple. Whichever one you choose; it’s bound to be an amazing time and bring you and your partner closer together.