Your bae will always be your number one fan, but that doesn’t mean that they won’t be down to tackle you in a game or two! Never underestimate the type of bond you’ll be able to develop when you both go on a competitive date! With that, here are our top 10 competitive date ideas 👾.
|Date Idea||Time of Day||Best suited to||Approx. Budget||Duration (hours)|
|Play tennis together 🎾||Day||Fitness fans!||$20||1|
|Hit up a go-kart track 🏎||Day||Motorheads||$60||1|
|Water gunfight 💦||Day||People like us!||$10||1-2|
|Board games 🎲||Day/Night||Nerds at heart||Free ($25 for new game)||1-3|
|Marco (Polo!) 🏊||Day||Extroverts!||Free||1|
|Laser Tag 🔫||Day/Night||Nerds at heart||$40||1|
|Geocaching 📍||Day||Nerds at heart||Free||1-3|
|Rock-climbing wall 🧗♂️||Day/Night||Adventurer lovers!||$30||1-2|
|Metal (gold) detecting ⚜️||Day||Adventurer lovers!||$50||2-3|
1. 🎾 Play tennis together 🎾
Love playing tennis 🎾? You both don’t have to be good at it! Just a great sport who knows how the game goes will do.
We tried this date idea a couple of years ago….let’s just say it didn’t work out because Scott is terrible at tennis! There were more balls hit out onto the road than on the court!
- Does your partner play tennis 🏓? If this is so, then it’s definitely the perfect date for you.
- The date is ideal if your partner’s love language is “quality time” – a game of tennis takes time.
- Renting a tennis court starts from $18/hr. Night 🌚 rates differ and start at $20/hr.
- Book a tennis court. Playing tennis at night would make it feel like it’s more of a date than playing it in the morning!
- Get dressed 👟 for your match. Put on your full tennis gear so you’d both really feel that you’re playing a competitive game.
- Play against your partner and see who’s the real tennis pro! At the very least, you’ll do better than Scott 😉
2. 🏎 Hit up a go-kart track 🏎
Feeling the need for speed? Going on go-kart racing would satisfy your hunger for a race 🏁 in 3!….2!…1!…Go!!!
- Do you and your partner enjoy racing in arcades 🕹 or going to car shows? This is the perfect date for you if you want to take the experience up a notch higher.
- This date is ideal if your partner’s love language is “gifts”.
- Entry for go-kart tracks cost around $30 per person ($60 for the two of you) for one race.
- Check the availability of where you’re going to have your go-kart experience. Most places vary in availability so it’s best to check their website 💻 first.
- Book a go-kart. A 10-minute ride will be at most 20 laps while a 30-min ride will be at 60 laps at most.
- Race with your partner. Really savor the moment as a 17 HP 2 stroke racing kart will make you feel like you’re flying!. You’ll definitely feel your heart ❤️ beating as you speed 🌬 through it.
3. 💦 Water gunfight 💦
Water gun fights 🔫 aren’t just for kids – they’re for adults 🧑, too! If you have some water guns stored in your attic, this is absolutely the perfect date for you!
When we did this, we got a whole bunch of friends involved and bought a crate of 60 water guns (no joke!). The look on the cashier’s face when Scott said ‘we’ll take ‘em all!’ was priceless ^.^ .
- This kind of activity is ideal if your partner’s love language is “quality time” or “physical touch”.
- If you don’t have water guns lying around, you can get them for as low as $5. That’s a pretty cheap price 💲 to pay for a fun competitive date!
- Get your water guns 🔫 loaded. We recommend mixing some food coloring so the water 💧 will be visible in your partner’s clothes (wear things you don’t mind throwing out!).
- Have fun blasting water 💦 to your partner. You can do the classic water gun fight but there are also some other variations that you can do.
- If you have a group (not double-date, think quadruple date!), you can try playing capture the flag 🏳.
This is another classic date idea that gives you the perfect excuse for some hand-holding (just so your partner doesn’t fall over, right? 😉 ).
We did this date a while back at a skatepark. Scott slipped and fell right on his bum ^.^.
- If your partner loves to relive their childhood memories or has never tried out rollerblading, this is the perfect activity for you to do!
- This date is most suited if your partner’s love language is “physical touch”. If your partner does not have any experience rollerblading, you can expect to be their guide as they learn.
- You can opt to rent rollerblades for $25 for a couple of hours ($50 for two of you) or buy one on Amazon for at least $50.
- For this date, you can choose to rent rollerblades and properly skate in the rentals’ venue or buy your own and skate at a nearby park 🏞.
- Set the rules for the game. Think of how you’re going to set the laps and how will someone win. The loser can pay for lunch 🥗 (fella’s, it’s a dick move to win here 😉 ).
5. 🎲 Board games 🎲
Who doesn’t love playing board games ♟? There are a lot of games that you can try to play with your partner. The more you try out, the better!
- You may already have a stack of classic board games lying around. But there are still a lot of newer games that you can also try to play.
- The date is ideal if your partner’s love language is “quality time” – a game of tennis takes time.
- We recommend playing Settlers of Catan (Lisa is really good at this game), Monopoly (if you can’t pay the rent, maybe you can come to another ‘arrangement?’), and Exploding Kittens 🐱 (Scott’s very good at this one – he’s never lost a game!).
- It will cost about at least $25 for a new board game. But it will also be great if you already have one at home.
- Make it a point to allot some time ⏱ for this date. We recommend at least a half a day which would be perfect if you want to try out new board games.
- Layout all the games 🎲 you’re planning to play and let your partner choose which one they like.
- You can take turns in choosing which board game you should play next. Better yet, the winner will get to choose which next board game you should both play.
6. 🏊 Marco (Polo!) 🏊
Another childhood classic that you can play with your partner. This activity is usually played with more than two people involved but it would be just as enjoyable if it were only the two of you 💕!
- Do you have a pool at home 🏡 or is the beach nearby? You can take the whole day off and enjoy it with your bae.
- This type of date is most suited if your partner’s love language is “physical touch.” You can expect to get very close in the pool as you try to find your partner.
- Choose who’s going to be the “it” and have them scream “Marco” as the other makes it a point not to be found while saying “Polo.”
- It’s okay if there are other people in the pool. It adds more challenge to find your partner so have fun!
7. 🔫 Laser Tag 🔫
Ready for some action-filled date? Laser 🔫 tag is the way to go!
- Check where you can play laser tag with your partner. There are usually places available but you’d have to check their availability and time before booking.
- If your partner’s love language is “quality time” this is the perfect date for them to feel loved.
- It usually costs around $15-$20 per person depending on how many games 🎮.
- The laser tag area can get a little bit crowded depending on your chosen date and time. Nevertheless, it will still be an enjoyable activity with your bae.
- Book the place on your most comfortable date and time. Show up and set the ground rules before playing.
- Have fun tagging your partner with a laser beam! Make sure you aim 🎯 for them at the most accurate places because that can be a tiebreaker at the end!
8. 📍Geocaching 📍
Looking to go on an adventure 🍃 with your partner? Why not make it a competition?
- You can think of geocaching 📍 as real-life treasure hunting although it’s a little bit more advanced. You’ll get to enjoy a whole day of searching where the tags 🏷 are with your partner.
- This date is perfect especially if your partner’s love language is “quality time.” You’ll be spending a lot of time together looking for caches on this date.
- Register for a free membership (make sure that your partner’s registered too). You can find out more about how to do geocaching at this website.
- Visit the “Hide & Seek a Cache” page on the app and enter your postal code. You can use your device 📱 to help you in finding hidden geocaches.
- Make it more exciting by setting a time limit and see who finds the most caches 🤳!
9. 🧗♂️ Indoor Rock-climbing wall 🧗♂️
Up for an ‘outdoorsy yet indoorsy’ challenge with your partner?
- If your partner loves to do physical 💪 activities for dates, then we can guarantee you that they will enjoy doing this activity.
- This date is most suited if your partner’s love language is “quality time” – it’s definitely a bonding activity that you’d both get to enjoy. We can also employ “Words of Affirmation” if you provide encouragement for your partner as they climb high!
- It costs around $30 for a rock climbing 🧗♂️ session for the two of you.
- Look online for indoor rock climbing sites you can go to. Usually, no bookings are needed for casual climbing activities but we recommend that you check their availability first. When we did this we didn’t need to book, but we literally got the last spot that day.
- Race your partner up to the top 🔝 . This will definitely fuel the competitive spirit!.
10. ⚜️ Metal (gold) detecting ⚜️
Looking for a unique date idea? Try metal ⚱️ detecting! You’d actually feel like you’re finding a treasure 🏴☠️ with your significant other.
- Do you or your partner love to discover something new? While you’re at it, it’d be great if you have a little competition for it.
- This date is ideal if your partner’s love language is “quality time” – you’ll be spending a lot of time together as you look 👀 for metals. If you gift your partner a gold nugget, we think that qualifies as “Gifts” too!
- A gold 👑 metal detector costs at least $50 on Amazon. It doesn’t have to be brand new and Facebook Marketplace will have many second hand detectors on offer 🤑.
- Map out where you’re going to look for metals 🥇. We recommend having a bigger range for this so you’d really have more time looking for metals.
- Come into an agreement with your partner that this is going to be a competition – whoever finds the most metals wins.
- Turn on your metal detectors and scan away. Make sure you really scan the area to make a better fight against your partner.
Being in a relationship doesn’t mean that you’d have to be 100% lovey-dovey 🥰 all the time. Think of it as a friendly-competition thing – it’s always fun when winning’s involved.
Are you interested to know what to talk about on your date? We recently answered this question right here!