The lights, the crowds, the dashing ambiance, your bae by your side… What could be more exciting than a romantic outing in the city? If an electrifying and fun date is what you’re looking for, here are our top 10 date ideas in the city! 🌆
|Date Idea||Time of Day||Best suited to||Approx. Budget||Duration (hours)|
|Go to an art gallery 🖼️||Day||Art lovers||$40||1-3|
|Meet at a bar and pretend to be other people 🍸||Night||Romantics||$60||2-3|
|Chat at a coffee shop ☕||Day||Introverts||$10||1-2|
|Go to a live comedy show 🎭||Night||Comedy cravers||$60||1-2|
|Visit a cat café 😺||Day||Animal lovers||$40||1-2|
|See a play or a musical 🎫||Night||Music lovers||$150||2-3|
|Sushi class 🍣||Day||Foodies!||$200||1-2|
|Candlelight dinner with French cuisine and champagne 🥂||Night||Romantics||$350||1-2|
|Volunteer at a soup kitchen together 👫||Day/Night||Romantics||Free!||1-3|
|Make cocktails at a bartending course 🍸||Day/Night||Party animals!||$120||1-2|
1. 🖼️ Go to an art gallery 🖼️
In the mood for impressing your partner with all your art knowledge? An art gallery can be a truly inspiring setting for romance to flourish and for your cultural expertise to come through 🎨.
- This date idea works best if your partner is the artsy type and enjoys including a heavy dose of culture on your outing.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity would be ‘Quality Time’. You can tell your partner and tell them how much you appreciate their company whilst you wander around the gallery.
- You can buy entry tickets to an art gallery for around $20 per person for the standard experience or $55 per person for a premium package.
- Art galleries are usually open from 10 am to 5 pm. You can make a full day outing out of your entry ticket and spend several hours there to fully get the most out of the experience.
- If you and your partner want to know everything and anything about the artworks you’ll be seeing, you can always rent an audio guide for around $7 per person. This is a fun way to do a guided tour of the gallery without tying yourself to a crowded group of people.
- Depending on which art gallery or museum you are planning on visiting, you have the choice to either bring your own food or eat at one of the on-site cafes. If you genuinely want to treat yourselves, look for the in-site a-la-carte restaurant for a special meal that will enhance your date.
2. 🍸 Meet at a bar and pretend to be other people 🍸
In case you and your partner need a good laugh (or a scandalous experiment), you can try to win each other all over again. How? Connect at a bar, pretend to be other people, and meet for the first time.
- This kind of date is ideal if your partner is into roleplaying or simply likes to goof around.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity would be ‘Quality Time’ since you two will be spending at least a couple of hours meeting each other all over again. Flirting takes time, folks.
- The cost of this date depends on what you order at the bar. You can either settle on a budget (say $60 for a couple of good quality vino’s) or go all out and try to pick each other up with a few fancy drinks.
- It’s better to establish a couple of code words beforehand. One to use as a warning and another one to call the entire thing off, in case one of you starts feeling a little too uncomfortable with the charade.
- Get creative on your character’s backstories! After all, this is supposed to be fun. You can be entirely different people as you are today or just tweak a couple of details here and there. The choice is yours as long as it works to win over your bae once again ❤️🔥
3. ☕ Chat at a coffee shop ☕
Sometimes the most classic date ideas are just what a couple needs. Coffee shops (especially in a busy city!) are vibrant places and are ideal for a fun and simple outing.
- This date works best if your partner is a coffee lover (like us!), likes to spend hours chatting over a good snack, and doesn’t mind being surrounded by tons of other people.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity would be ‘Receiving Gifts’ as you can treat them to their favorite beverage or snack as a surprise. They will appreciate how well you know them.
- The cost of a coffee will be between $1 and $5 depending on your city (it’s towards the lower end in Europe, higher-end in Australia/NZ and around $2-3 in the US per cup), so this is a great budget date idea in the city.
- Go where the locals go! This is the perfect way to meet the most interesting people and really soak in the vibe of the city. Plus, the specialties will probably be more and tastier.
- TripAdvisor offers a quick search of the best coffee shops in every city in the world; in case you aren’t sure where to start. You can also check local blogs for more info on the best coffee shops around the city you’ll be visiting.
4. 🎭 Go to a live comedy show 🎭
If fun is what you’re after, look no further. Attending a live comedy show is the perfect outing for when you’re in the city and in need of amusement.
- This date will be successful if your partner loves comedy and enjoys attending live entertainment performances.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity would be ‘Physical Touch’ as you can get pretty cozy in those seats. Grab your partner’s hand, rest your head on their shoulder, sneak a kiss on them, there’s always room for extra affection.
- The cost of this date depends on the show you want to attend, but prices are usually $30 per person for an entry ticket.
- This date is perfect for night owls! Usually, live comedy shows take place during the night, starting as early as 8 pm or as late as 11 pm.
- A great way to enhance this date is to include a dinner on the plan. Depending on the hours of the live show, you’ll want to make a reservation for either before the performance or once it has already finished. Find a nice restaurant near the venue and make it a fun night out!
5. 😺 Visit a cat café 😺
Want to make your outing to the city as unique as possible? Try visiting a cat café. Just think about it, the cute cats, the delicious coffee, your partner by your side… what an adorable date! 💕
- This date is the perfect outing if your bae is an animal lover and enjoys visiting trendy cafés.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity would be ‘Acts of Service’ since you’ll be caring for the cats together.
- Visiting a cat café can be the sweetest budget date. We spent about $40 for a couple of hours on this date but prices may vary depending on how many drinks you buy ($5-$10 each), any food you buy for yourself ($10-$15 each) or food for the cats (around $5-$10 per serve).
- Some cat cafés out there have specific themes! This adds up to the excitement of the date, so be sure to look for one with the theme you and your partner will enjoy the most. There’s yoga, sci-fi, and cat-cine cafés; enough variety to ensure there’s one perfect for you waiting to be visited.
- Remember to bring your camera or fully charged phone to be able to document this feline experience.
6. 🎫 See a play or a musical 🎫
The city is filled with a vibrant theatre scene, so why not take advantage of it? Going to see a play or a musical is a great way to be entertained, have a good time, and support local artists.
- Going to the theatre works best as a date if your partner loves the performing arts and enjoys live performances.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity would be ‘Receiving Gifts’ as you can always gift them with the tickets and treat them to this special outing.
- This date idea in the city can be considerably expensive if the play or musical of your choice is a popular one and you are on the lookout for premium seats. Regular tickets range from $150 to $175 for the two of you depending on the play, date, and time of the day.
- The first step towards a successful theatre date is to book your tickets in advance. You wouldn’t want to find yourselves standing in line for a considerable amount of time only to find your play or musical of choice has been sold out.
- If there are drinks offered, check out if they come with a memorabilia cup. Sometimes these beverages cost as little as $5 and you get a delicious refreshment and a cute cup to take home for the price of one!
- Pro tip: If you will be attending an extremely popular (e.g. a broadway-style play): Once the show is over, rush to the back entry and get in line there! Most of the time the actors will come out to say hi and sign a few autographs. 🎭
7. 🍣 Sushi class 🍣
Sushi nights have always been a first-date staple. Now, for a unique date night in the city… let’s take it to a whole other level with a sushi class for two!
- This date works best if your partner loves sushi and is curious about how to make their own at home.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity would be ‘Physical Touch’ since you two will be crafting your own sushi rolls for the entirety of the class.
- This date lays more on the expensive side, with classes starting at $100 per person for a 2 and a half hours public workshop. If you want to request a private lesson, the prices will certainly be much higher.
- Sushi workshops usually include a full lunch or dinner, so be sure to plan your day properly to have a big appetite for when it’s time for your class.
- An amazing way to finish off this date is to take your partner to a kitchen supply store after your sushi lesson. You can pick all you need to make your own sushi at home together! 💑
8. 🥂 Candlelight dinner with French cuisine and champagne 🥂
This date idea in the city is perfect for special occasions. If you and your partner are in need of a celebratory outing, you can’t go wrong with such a classic and romantic plan! 💌
- This date works best if your partner is the romantic type and appreciates a classic yet utterly charming outing.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity would be ‘Words of Affirmation’, as you will get plenty of time to sweet-talk each other during your special dinner.
- This date is with no doubt a treat for both of you, as it is not a budget date idea. Expect to spend at least $150 – $200 per person on this candlelight dinner (our average has been about $350 when including a decent bottle of champagne).
- Make sure to make your dinner reservation in advance. French restaurants are really popular, and you will struggle to find space as a walk-in customer.
- The best way to finish off this date is to go for a nice stroll around the city once you have already had dinner. You’ll get to experience the wonderful city nightlights as you walk through the lovely food districts under the stars. 🌃
9. 👫 Volunteer at a soup kitchen together 👫
Volunteering together is an amazing way to help make a difference whilst having fun cooking as a couple. You’ll be doing a good deed and spending time with your bae in the city. 🏙️
- This date works best if your partner enjoys volunteering work and is excited at the idea of spending a few hours in the kitchen. 🥣.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity would be ‘Acts of Service’, as you’ll have the opportunity to do good on this lovely date.
- This is the perfect inexpensive date to do in the city! Not only are you saving money but you’re also helping a great cause in the process.
- This is an amazing way to help your community, so find a soup kitchen in a city you both love and have fun working together for the betterment of the locale. It’s an opportunity to make friends with fellow volunteers as well!
- The perfect way to end this volunteering date is to go ahead and have some soup of your own! Perhaps you can go home and cook together, or you prefer to find a nearby restaurant and enjoy a relaxing evening after all that solid work. 💕
10. 🍸 Make cocktails at a bartending course 🍸
Are you looking for a fun and flirty yet educational night out in the city? A bartending class is the perfect outing if you and your partner love to be creative with your cocktails.
- This date works best if your partner is ready to get adventurous with drinks and enjoys learning new skills.
- The Love Language of your partner most suited to this activity would be ‘Quality Time’, as you’ll be spending a lot of time together in the class. And back home while trying to recreate all those new drinks!
- The great thing about bartending courses is that they come in a variety of prices and durations. A one-time beginner bartending class can cost as little as $60 per person, while a two-day foundations course costs around $380 per person. It all depends on the school and your previous knowledge.
- Book in advance! This is a popular date idea, and those spots can fill quickly (there are tonnes of options on Viator).
- Don’t go crazy with the drinking. The aim of the class is for you to experiment and learn about the art of bartending, it’s not a drinking contest 😉 . You can have some extra booze at home with your bae afterward! 🥰
Those were our top 10 date ideas in the city! Whether it is for an exciting night out or a unique day plan, all these options have the potential to be your new favorite date for when you’re in the city. Enjoy the hustle, admire the skyline, and have fun with your bae! 👩❤️👨