Growing old with your partner 🥰 will always be a relationship goal. But just because you’ve been with them for years doesn’t mean you shouldn’t go out and have a date every once in a while. To keep the fire 🔥 burning and have your partner still feel the sparks ⚡️ after all the times you’ve spent together, here are our Top 10 Date Ideas for Older Married Couples.
|Date Idea||Time of Day||Best suited to||Approx. Budget||Duration (hours)|
|Evening performance at the Opera 🎶||Night||Culture lovers||$140||2-3|
|Book a dinner cruise 🍽||Night||Foodies!||$280||1-2|
|Observatory tour 🔭||Night||Nerds at heart||$50||1-2|
|Make pasta 🍝||Day/Night||Foodies!||$10||1-2|
|Try a new type of cuisine you’ve never had 🥗||Day/Night||Foodies!||Up to you!||1-2|
|Relive your wedding (through photos or video) with a special home-cooked meal and champagne 💒||Day/Night||Romantics||$50||2-3|
|Take a dance class together 💃||Day/Night||Sporty seniors||$40||1|
|Go bowling 🎳||Day/Night||Sporty seniors||$10||1-2|
|Watch a classic romantic movie 📺||Day/Night||Romantics||$9||1-2|
1. 🎶 Evening performance at the Opera 🎶
Feeling a little bit fancy 👔 for a date? Get you and your partner all dressed up to the nines 🔮 for this lovely date!
- Does your partner absolutely love watching musicals or operas 🎶? If they do, this is the perfect date idea for them!
- This date is ideal if your partner’s love language is “gifts” 🎁 – the ticket and experience are great things you can give to your partner!
- Standard seating for these shows is usually priced 🤑 at $69. If you’re feeling a little bit fancy, go for premium seating tickets 🎫. This will cost about $89 per ticket. Don’t worry – these shows are definitely worth it 💯!
- Check out the schedule ⏱ of the opera house near you or one that’s within your area. For this date, it will be a lot better to book an evening show. It makes everything dreamy 💭 and a lot sweeter ❤️!
- Dress upon the date 🗓 of the showing. Make sure you and your partner are all glammed ✨ up! There’s no such thing as overdressing 👗 for an opera show!
- Enjoy the show with your bae. Constantly touch your partner’s arms 💪 while you’re watching – this surely gives the fuzzy 🦋 vibes on their insides!
2. 🍽 Book a dinner cruise 🍽
Dinner 🍽 with the love of your life, on the sea 🌊 , while watching the stars ✨ – it’s as dreamy as it could be!
- When was the last time you went all out for a date with your partner? If you’re feeling like you want to be more extra with your date, booking a dinner cruise 🚢 will be your best!
- This date is perfect if your partner’s love language is “quality time” ⏰ or “gifts” 🎁 – you’ll be giving them this kind of date and spend quality time with them on this date, too! So you’re really hitting two birds 🦅 with one stone 🪨 with this one.
- The price 💲 will usually depend on what time of the year you’re going to book your date. A 3-hour dinner date cruise will usually cost $140 per person (readily available for booking on Viator). Nevertheless, we can guarantee you that this the kind of date your partner won’t forget 🙂 .
- Browse online for available cruises 🛳. There are some that have a theme for their dinner 🍲 cruises. Some examples of this would be retro and rock n roll 🤘. If you feel like this is something you and your partner would enjoy, then go for it!
- Take pictures 📸 with your bae while you’re on the cruise. It may run only for a limited time, but the photos will last forever!
- Enjoy the night 🌚 with your partner. After dinner, you can savor this moment and take the time to take a look at how beautiful the city 🌃 lights are along with the skies 🌌 above. Hold their hand and tell them how grateful you are to celebrate such beautiful moments of life, just like this one, with them.
3. 🔭 Observatory tour 🔭
Geek out and see the world in a larger picture with your partner with an observatory tour. It’s mesmerizing how two people can find and be destined to one another, even if they are just a tiny speckle 🌟 in the universe.
- If your partner loves to geek 🤓 out with you or enjoy looking at how stars and galaxies come about, this is 100% perfect for them.
- This date is most suited for your partner if their love language is “quality time” and “gifts” – the ticket itself can be considered as your gift 💝, and you get to spend time together looking at how wonderful and amazing nature 🌳 is!
- It will cost about $25 on average per ticket 🎫 for an observatory tour.
- You can book your tickets in advance or choose to walk-in for a more spontaneous approach!
- Wear stylish clothes 👕 – you’ll never know when you’ll see a great background for a picture 📸!
- Read on the explanations and facts posted or listen carefully to your guide 🗺. Discuss these with your partner afterwards – you’ll be amazed at how much you’ll get to learn together on this date.
4. 🍝 Make pasta 🍝
Do you or your significant other love to eat pasta 🍝 ? Why don’t you make things more special by making them from scratch? Even so, it’ll be better if you do this with your partner!
- We recommend having this date if your partner absolutely loves to eat anything pasta.
- The most suited love language for this is “acts of service” – we can guarantee that your partner will feel loved by doing this!
- You’ll need to prepare the ingredients for your pasta. This usually includes water 💧, semolina flour, egg 🥚, vegetable juice, and herbs 🪴 or spices. The cost will depend mostly on how much you’re going to make. But if you’re making for just the two of you, homemade 🏡 pasta can cost around $5-$10.
- Order the ingredients online or get them from the store. If you’re planning to get them in stores, it’s sweeter to tag your partner along the process with you! It can be a part of the date, too!
- Make the pasta with your bae. Whether you or your partner are skilled at this, it will always be a learning experience to make pasta with your partner.
- Enjoy eating. If you’re feeling extra, serve different dishes from the pasta you’ve made with your partner. Put out some wine 🍷 and light some candles 🕯! You both deserve this.
5. 🥗 Try a new type of cuisine you’ve never had 🥗
There are some people who just don’t really feel that adventurous when it comes to trying out new food 🍱. If you feel like you’re one of these people, it’s best that you go ahead and bring your partner into it! Trying out new cuisine will always be a great idea – most especially if you’re with the love 💕 of your life.
- This date is just perfect, especially if your partner loves to try out new food 🍲 !
- The most suited love language of your partner for this kind of date is “quality time” – the time you’ll spend trying out food and eating with them will definitely be enough to show you love them.
- You don’t really have to go to the extremes when trying out new food, but it will be fun to try it out with someone you love!
- Check out a new restaurant offering a cuisine you and your partner haven’t really explored much. You can also order online if you prefer to enjoy the food and stay indoors 🚪.
- Game idea: let your partner pick out a specific dish 🥙 for you to try and do the same – this way, you’ll be both getting out of your comfort zone!
- After trying out the food, you and your partner can also rate it just for fun. Check if they loved what you ordered for them. Hopefully, you both loved this new cuisine enough that you’d order it once again.
6. 💒 Relive your wedding (through photos or video) with a special home-cooked meal and champagne 💒
There’s nothing else that can get any sweeter than reliving your sweetest and most memorable moments with your partner. You’ve been together for years now – it may seem like it’s impossible how time could go that fast. But you’re in it – you’ve got a love 💗 that lasts.
- If your partner loves to look back at everything you’ve done and the years you’ve spent together, we absolutely recommend having this date!
- The most suited love language of your partner for this date is “words of affirmation” – as you go through your wedding 💒 pictures or video 🎥, you can tell them how much they mean to you and how thankful you are for them.
- A special home-cooked meal 🥘 and champagne 🥂 would cost around $25-$75 at the very most.
- Choose a date and time wherein you can spend the whole day comfortably together without having to worry about any work-related obligations. This date is just for the two of you – nothing else will seem to matter at this point.
- Prepare a homemade dinner 🍽 meal for your loved one. We recommend having steak 🥩 or anything that your partner loves to eat. Buy some champagne 🍾 while you’re at it too!
- Set the mood – light some candles 🕯 , dim the lighting, and play jazz music 🎶 during your dinner. You can also extend this to when you’re browsing your pictures 📸 and watching the videos together. It’s definitely a mood!
7. 💃 Take a dance class together 💃
No need to worry about dancing 🕺 alone – you’re sure that you have a partner to dance with. It won’t matter if you’re both skilled at this or not. What matters most is that you’re learning and having fun with your bae!
- Does your partner enjoy dancing? If they don’t, they don’t really have to like it! Just as long as they’re comfortable doing this with you, then it won’t be any problem.
- The most suitable love language of your partner for this date is “quality time” and “physical touch” – you’ll surely be dancing 💃 for quite some time for this activity together!
- On average, a dance class would cost around $40-$50 per hour, depending on the type of class you’re going to take and on the instructor.
- Book a dance class together. We recommend trying out a genre that you’ve both never done before. It makes everything all the more exciting and funny 😆!
- Go to the lesson together. Really try your best to learn all the moves with your bae! Don’t forget to enjoy yourself while you’re at it.
- After the lesson, you can also go on random dance nights at the club or just randomly bust the moves you’ve learned from the lessons.
8. 🎳 Go bowling 🎳
Bowling 🎳 has got to be one of the classic sports or activities you can enjoy doing with your partner!
- This activity is best done if your partner enjoys playing games or sports with you. It’s also recommended, especially if your partner is competitive – this will make the game more exciting!
- If your partner’s love language is “quality time” this date is perfect for them!
- The cost will depend mostly on the venue you’re going to choose, but on average, a game for adults is priced at least $10.
- Check the schedule of the bowling venues near you. Book whichever time or date works for you and your partner.
- Enjoy bowling with your partner. Again, you can go all out into playing against them! It will definitely be a fun and competitive experience for both of you.
- Game idea: whoever loses will have a dare or consequence!
9. 📺 Watch a classic romantic movie 📺
Watching a romantic movie 🍿, particularly those that are considered classics, should always be on a couple’s bucket 🪣 list. This date’s perfect no matter what your ages are.
- If your partner enjoys watching movies 📽, this is the perfect date idea for you to do!
- The most suitable love languages of your partner for this activity is “physical touch” and “quality time” – you can cuddle with them while you’re enjoying the movie together!
- Running out of movie ideas to watch with your partner? You can go ahead and check out this list of popular movies for this category.
- The cost would be no more than your monthly netflix subscription.
- Pick out a classic movie to watch. You’re not limited to just choosing one movie. If you have ample time to spare with your partner, seize the moment and binge-watch with them!
- Make sure you have something to eat. Prepare finger food such as tacos 🌮, popcorn 🍿, nachos, or junk food.
- Enjoy the movie! These classics will surely be a tear-jerker 😪, so we recommend having tissues 🤧 nearby.
10. 🍽 Fondue! 🍽
Eating with your partner is always an experience. It doesn’t matter if you’ve been together for a long time or not – bonding over food 🍱 is something most couples look forward to doing. To give you an idea, fondue would be a nice touch to this food experience!
- This type of date is very suited for your foodie partner. The more willing they are to try out new stuff, the better!
- This date is perfect if your partner’s love language is “quality time”
- The idea is for you and your partner to try out different types of fondue if you’re feeling a little bit extra for this date. But you can also settle for one type of fondue if you’re just planning a simple date.
- The cost of fondue at a restaurant is about $30 per person.
- Decide on whether you will be trying out different types of fondue or just one. You can also buy fondue or make one yourself!
- Set everything up – we recommend that before starting, it’s best that the food’s 🍕 all laid out. This is so you can enjoy dipping and eating when it’s time to do so.
- Enjoy eating with your bae! It may seem like it’s a very “simple” thing to do, but, in reality, it’s a cherished bonding moment between you and your partner.
We researched the popularity of all these dates (employing Google’s keyword search data) and found that the ‘Dinner Cruise’ idea was the most popular date in this category. The ‘Fondue’ idea was the most unique and one we highly enjoyed (but boy did we feel full for a long time afterwards, it’s so rich!).
Being in a long term relationship is already a flex 💪 itself. Even though you’ve been with each other for such a long time, it doesn’t mean that you have to stop spoiling each other or stop ✋ doing things that would make them special 🥰. With that said, we recommend doing any of these dates. They won’t fail to give your partner the butterflies 🦋!
Looking to make your date a little more special? We just wrote a blog on romantic gestures for date nights. They’re kind of like the icing on the cake – a little something extra to make your next date much more romantic! Click here to find out more!