Fun doesn’t always happen outside! Staying in has a lot of perks – most especially when with your partner. To make the most out of staying inside, here’s our list of 10 date ideas for when everything’s closed!
|Date Idea||Time of Day||Best suited to||Budget||Duration (hours)|
|Make each other’s favorite food for dinner 🥘||Night||Foodies||$20||1-2|
|Play video games 🎮||Day/Night||Nerds at heart||Free!||1-3|
|Buy Lego kits (Amazon/eBay) and put them together 🧩||Day/Night||Nerds at heart||$30||1-2|
|Binge-watch Anime 👀||Day/Night||Nerds at heart||Free!||2-6|
|Pillow fort party 🏯||Night||Kings/Queens of the Castle||Free!||2-3|
|Go on a virtual date quest in an MMORPG 👾||Day/Night||Nerds at heart||$30||1-6|
|Write a bucket list together ✍️||Day/Night||Explorers||Free!||1-2|
|Install flower boxes on your windows 🌻||Day||Green thumbs||$40||2-3|
|Watch a classic romantic movie 🎞||Day/Night||Romantics||Free!||1-2|
1. 📝 Love-languages quiz 📝
Everyone wants to know the secret for a long and lasting relationship. The answer’s pretty simple – know your partner’s love language!
- Still don’t know what the love language of your partner is? Now’s the perfect time to find out! ❤️ This activity is perfect for couples who haven’t taken a love-languages quiz yet.
- Each love language is a description of how we receive love from others. Knowing the love language of your partner fosters better communication 📞 between the two of you and allows each individual to feel more appreciated in the relationship.
- Look up “love language quiz” or “love language test” on the Web 💻. There will be a handful of tests that may show up but we recommend www.5lovelanguages.com or https://www.psychologies.co.uk/tests/whats-your-love-language.html.
- Take the quiz with your partner. You don’t have to do it together at the same time ⏰ but of course, everything’s so much better when you do it with them!
- Upon completing the quiz, show the results to your partner. Some sites provide an explanation of what those languages mean. Discuss your results with each other. You may be surprised to know what their love ❤️ languages are!
- Apply this info in real life! For example, their love language is “physical touch”, make sure that you offer them a hug or a kiss 💋 every now and then. Through this, you can give your partner the kind of love they want to receive 🎁. Trust us – it will definitely be an eye-opener 👁 for you both (love languages have literally changed our relationship!).
2. 🥘 Make each other’s favorite food for dinner 🥘
It takes two to tango 💃 – especially in the kitchen! What better way to spend quality time with your partner than to prepare dinner 🍽 with them? You don’t have to be both good at cooking 🍳, it’s the thought and effort that counts! If one of you is already a pro at cooking, then it’s a learning experience for the other. Test your skills in listening 👂 and cooperation. The food 🍗 doesn’t really have to be that perfect as long as you’ve enjoyed making it with the love of your life!
- This date idea is perfect if your partner is a foodie 🌮!
- The most suited love languages of your partner for this kind of date is a mix of “quality time” and “acts of service”.
- When was the last time you prepared a proper dinner🍴instead of going out to eat 🍱? It’s relatively cheaper 💵 compared to eating out, plus, you get to cook each other’s favorite food exactly the way they like it. We usually spend $15-$20 on this kind of date (perhaps >$50 if we’re splashing out for something special).
- Plan out your dinner. Are you doing a full-course meal or just a casual one? We recommend a full-course one since this date is one for the books!
- Shop for the needed ingredients 🥩 (farmer’s markets are a great option with fresh veggies and other delicatessens for good prices).
- Prep and cook! Take turns in using the stove or try to figure out what goes into what. We have a lot of “laugh breaks”😂 in between.
- Set up the dinner table 🍽. Add some flair to it by making it a candle-lit 🕯dinner. Put on some jazz music 🎶 and dress 👗👔 up! Just because you’re at home 🏡 doesn’t mean you have to stay in your pajamas.
3. 🎮 Play video games 🎮
Going to the arcade 🕹 or playing video games will always be a great date idea. But since the arcades and other gaming centers are closed, why not just have it at home? Bring out any video gaming console if you have one or download mobile games.
- This date is perfect especially if your partner is an avid gamer 👾.
- Your partner’s ideal love language for this date would be quality time ⏰.
- Games aren’t just for kids 🧒! They’re for kids at heart ❤️ too. Play with or against your partner. Bring out your competitive spirit but also make sure you put in your cooperation skills too!
- Bring out the gaming console 🎮 or download the mobile application for the game. Choose whether you’re playing with each other or playing against them (hint: it’ll be better if you try both)!
- Choose a game you’d both love to play. Mario Kart is always a good idea for couples.
- Prepare some food 🥪 you can munch on. It doesn’t have to be a full-on meal – finger foods like nachos, fries 🍟 , or popcorn will do.
- Enjoy the game 🕹! Think of any consequences or dares if your partner loses the round 😉
4. 🧩 Buy Lego kits (Amazon/eBay) and put them together 🧩
Legos aren’t just for kids. If you come to think of it, these are like complex puzzles 🧩 – perfect for adults! Sort out the pieces, follow the instructions, and build them part-by-part. In this activity, you’ll get to see the outcome of the work and effort you’ve put into building it together.
- This is a perfect date if your partner loves to solve puzzles 🧩 or is a nerd at heart (like us).
- Your partner’s ideal love language for this activity would be quality time ⌚️.
- You’ll be spending a couple of hours ⏳ or so with your partner for this activity.
- Order a Lego set on Amazon or Ebay ⌨️. A lego set each piece can cost roughly around $30 for something ‘date-worthy’ but there are many options if you have the budget to spend more (more complex/larger sets).
- Build 🧱 the set. We suggest that you allot a reasonable amount of time for this activity because it will really take you quite some time. However, if you or your partner is already a pro-builder, then maybe you’d finish a piece for under an hour. The key here of course is to spend quality time with your significant other 😉 .
5. 👀 Binge-watch Anime 👀
Do you or your partner love to watch anime? 📺 If so, this is the perfect stay in kind of date for you. Watching anime together will always be a good idea. Binge on watching Attack on Titans, Haikyuu, One Punch Man, and other anime. There’s a pretty much extensive list so you don’t have to worry about being short on what you should watch!
- This date is perfect for those couples or with partners who are nerds at heart.
- Your partner’s ideal love language for this date is quality time. Expect that you’ll be spending a LOT of time ⏱ binge-watching.
- This is an effortless kind of date because you basically don’t have to do anything just to make this work! Just focus on watching 📺 and spending time with your partner ❤️.
- Settle on a time and date 🗓 for this date. We recommend that you should start binge-watching in the late afternoon 🕛 up until late at night 🌠. Those will always be the best time to watch uninterrupted (from those pesky responsibilities such as work, school or life…). But it can also be whatever fits in your schedule!
- Set-up the area. It’s best if you make it as cozy as possible. Building a tent or a fortress is a great idea. Fill it with many pillows and blankets 🛌 to feel that super cozy vibe. If you’re feeling a little romantic, you can also put up some fairy lights ✨ so it can give that romantic vibe when the sun goes down🌅!
- Prepare snacks 🥨. The last thing you’d want to happen is for any of you to get up while watching just to get some snacks. So, better keep them in handy and within reach.
- We recommend Princess Mononoke, Howls Moving Castle and seasons 1-3 of the Seven Deadly Sins (on the latter, the ‘power-creep’ got a bit much for us in Season 4…).
6. 🏯 Pillow fort party 🏯
Remember when you had to sleepover at your friends’ 👯♀️ house? Well, why not do one with your partner? It will be fun and full of laughter 😂!
- This date is perfect for those couples who love to have fun physically 🏃♂️ together!
- If your partner’s love language is quality time or physical touch 🤗, they will surely enjoy this date.
- It’s very low-cost 💴 and easy to pull off. All the needed materials are already in the bedroom 🛌 – all you have to do is just to make the most out of the situation.
- Organize everything that you’ll both need – this will include mostly pillows and blankets.
- Set-up the fort together! You can go for a small fort or a big one – whatever floats your boat. But we recommend that you make a small one if you want to cuddle 🤗 together afterward!
- Fairy 🧚♀️ lights or night lights 💡 will make a good addition to your fort. These usually cost around $10-$25 💸 on Amazon.
7. 👾 Go on a virtual date quest in an MMORPG 👾
MMORPGs aren’t just for playing alone. Enjoy playing with your partner by embarking on a quest together. Playing games with your partner is always a great way to spend quality time. Some MMORPGs you can play are World of Warcraft or Guild Wars 2.
- Nerds at heart 🎮 will surely enjoy this kind of stay-at-home bonding activity.
- This activity is suitable for those who have “quality time” as their love 💕 language.
- Choose the perfect game with a challenging quest. The more challenging it is, the better. This activity will foster cooperation and communication 🗣 between the both of you!
- MMORPG subscriptions cost around $10-$15 per month per person.
- Choose a game to play. It can either be a game that you’ve both played before or something that’s new to both of you.
- If the characters are customizable, dress 👗 them up! You can think of it as adding your own personal touch. It will really be like you’re going on a “real-life date”.
- There’s nothing else to do but to enjoy the story and have fun 🤩 with your partner while you’re playing the game!
8. ✍️ Write a bucket list together ✍️
Bucket lists 📝 will always be a thing. This is true especially with your significant other. It’s very dreamy 💭 and hopeful to have something to look forward to in the future. In this sense, you’re trying to envision 👁 the things you are to do together. It doesn’t have to be over-the-top but be as ambitious as you can! You’ll thank yourselves for making a bucket 🪣 list when you’ve achieved ✅ anything in it years after.
- This activity is perfect for couples who love to plan things and are excited about what’s in store for them in the coming years.
- This date idea should go well if your partner’s love language is “words of affirmation”.
- It’s a comforting feeling to make this list 📜 with someone special since you both have an idea that they see you in their future.
- Grab a piece of paper 📄 or notebook 📒 and pen 🖊 . It doesn’t have to be super formal but just something that you can write properly on. However, you have to see to it that the paper is good enough to last for years. You’ll never know when you can achieve whatever’s on your list!
- Envision your life together. Touch everything from achieving personal accomplishments together to doing something new or traveling somewhere in the world 🗺 .
- Watch the both of you check ✅ one thing on your bucket list one at a time. You’ll be surprised how much you both can achieve 💯!
9. 🌻Install flower boxes on your windows 🌻
Are you a handyman 👨🔧 or feel your home could use some DIY? If that’s the case then installing flower 🌸 boxes on your windows is a great activity for both of you.
- This kind of date activity is perfect for couples who are the crafty kind 🏠.
- This date idea would very much suit your partner if they have “acts of service” as their love language.
- Prepare to get dirty for this activity! You’ll also have to put in some time and effort into finishing everything. This will definitely take in some of your energy ⚡️ but it’s going to be a lot easier and worth it in the end.
- Simple flower boxes for windows cost around $15-$20 each with more elaborate designs coming at a premium. Flowers/flower seeds and mulch cost us around $20. So the total cost is about $35-$40 per window.
- Get all the necessary materials. Usually, this would entail having a drill, screws 🔩, measuring tape, pencil ✏️, and the window flower 🌹 box itself.
- Measure the dimensions of your windows. See to it that these are accurate as much as possible.
- Drill holes on your wall. But there are some other methods wherein drilling isn’t necessary. It will depend on how secure you’d like the flower 🌺 box to be or based on the available materials around you.
- Hang the window box and see the fruit of your hard work come into life! You can also extend this bonding activity up until the planting of the flowers on the flower box. It will definitely be a memorable bonding moment for the both of you especially when you see the flowers 🌻 come to life.
- We did this when we were renting not too long ago (just using the balcony as we couldn’t hang anything from the windows). Check it out!
10. 🎞 Watch a classic romantic movie 🎞
Nothing else can get more classic for an indoor date idea than watching a romantic movie at home.
- This activity is perfect especially for those who love to watch movies 🎞 together.
- Those with “quality time” as their love language will enjoy this activity.
- Choose a movie. Our favorites are Love Actually or The Breakfast Club. On the former, we take a shot every time someone says “Christmas” 😉
- Make sure everything is comfortable before you start the movie. Have chips or snacks 🥨 within reach so you can focus more on the movie as it plays!
This is our personal compilation of the dates couples can do when everything’s closed. Again, we’d like to put emphasis on how enjoyable it is to make the most of what’s at home!
We researched the popularity of all these dates (employing Google’s keyword search data) and found that classic romantic movies are the most popular date idea for when everything’s closed. Cooking dinner for each other was the least searched category – so if you’re looking unique date idea at home, then this is a perfect choice.
You and your partner don’t always have to rely on going outside just to make wonderful memories. What matters most is that you’re both together and happy with each other’s presence.